D’où Venons Nous / Que Sommes Nous / Où Allons Nous
we come from?
Software Architect II
27 years same co. (now Nielsen)
Autodidactic, School of Hard Knocks, some college
2006 SUNY Oneonta alumna
Human Ecology Major
Computer Art minor, Almost Secondary Education major
Worked on Wall Street, Drexel Burnham Lambert, ’78-’82
Books Influenced Us:
The 4 Hour Work Week
Important because we both work full time
This is a part time effort for us
Outsource your life
Make a ton of $, little bit from many
The New Influencers
paper comparing viral & guerrilla marketing
Blogs – Tool I used in college: Parent Ed., Computer Art Showcase
I liked blogs as giving little people a voice and anonymous comments, discussions
2006 www.PitbullMommy.com documenting experience
Taking social media marketing
to the next level
Random Thoughts & Things We Learned from Experience
“Programming is 10% of the job.” Rick wrote Auction-Eze application when e-Bay first came out; did not succeed because we dropped the ball on marketing. e-Bay partnered with a Binghamton firm:( MARKETING IS KEY TO ANY BUSINESS
Execution is everything. Everyone has great ideas, you don’t find out how great (or not so great) they are until they come to fruition. (And if you’re working part time, you’re never done and you will constantly be refining your product – Running a software business on 5 hours a week)
- Web Business & Event Directory of fun things to do, interesting people, places, museums, arts, sports, all things local Oneonta and environs.
- Map is our Information Design Organizer
- Promote by blogging, Twitter, coupons to your cell phones, social media
(I heart Twitter, not so much Facebook. Probably would have done better on FB as Oneonta NY has over 2500 fans. I still love Twitter community of 210 OOTM)
- Community Built (can add business, events, coupons online)
- Integrate with YouTube and of course more features wish-list
are we going?
- We are a Free Service, influenced by Wired Magazine article New Economy of Free
- Wanted to provide demonstrated value/metrics before selling service
Possible $ Models:
- Prototype, sell program
- Sponsors – little $ from many
- Charge for Coupon Service – gives customers reason to return
- “Twitter” Model - possible businesses pay for enhanced listings, ability to edit
- Poss. collaborate with another website & use as vehicle, networking promotional marketing tool
- Didn’t want traditional or obtrusive advertising
What would you do?
Designing local: competition fierce (but friendly), limited upside.
Fix what’s wrong: not strong enough brand, not edgy enough, design issues?
Keep working & design mobile OR
Move on to site selling product rather than depending on changing media
Successful Online Businesses:
Buy My Book Recommendations: