Welcome back SUNY Oneonta and Hartwick College students. Are you looking for ways to chill out in Oneonta this semester?
If you like the cold,
- Check out Plattekill Mountain Ski & Tubing Resort‘s website for special events such as $15 lift tickets (Jan. 27-29).
- Hanford Mills Museum’s Annual Ice Harvest claims to be the region’s “coolest tradition.” It’s happening Feb. 6 from 10:00 am-4:00 pm.
- Ice Skating on Hodges Pond in Neahwa Park is an Oneonta tradition, call 432-7997 for daily updates regarding hours and conditions (website: www.Oneonta.ny.us/government/)
- Brrr, it’s time to register for the 15th Annual Goodyear Lake Polar Bear Jump (Feb. 20) benefit. A Chinese Auction will be held Jan. 31 at Milford Central School to benefit this event. Check the website for Polar Bear Jump pre-registration info: www.PBJump.com; you must pre-register in order to participate.
If you’re the warm-blooded type, looking to hunker down under covers or stay in more temperate indoors, these Oneonta area activities may be just what to do until spring break comes:
- Eat, Sleep, PLAY Oneonta — check out Neverdaunt N8, a MMO (Massive Multiplayer Online) video game created by Oneonta local Calvin Goble. I’m trying to arrange a coffee shop gathering with Calvin; if you’re enthralled by his game and would like to tell him in person, e-mail me mr@OneontaOnTheMap.com.
- Feb. 3 – 21st, Hartwick College’s Department of English and Theatre Arts is presenting DEARLY DEPARTED, Bottrell & Jones’ rip-roarin’ redneck farce about the Turpin family, proving that living and dying in the South is seldom tidy and always hilarious. Check www.OneontaOnTheMap.com‘s event calendar for the dates and times and reserve your tickets online at www.hartwick.edu/x1197.xml
- B. Sharp Gallery is having an Art Exhibition Opening Reception Feb. 6 from 4-8 pm (The exhibition runs through Feb. 21). Plan to attend the reception to schmooze with local Oneonta and NYC artists.
- Feb. 7 is the Sixth Annual UCCCA Chili Bowl Competition; watch for upcoming details.
- Feb. 12 is SUNY College at Oneonta’s Tenth Annual Faculty Research Show.
Hope you’ve enjoyed this smattering of events and things to do when Oneonta cabin fever has got you down. Keep checking our website calendar or follow us on Twitter for continuous updates. And feel free to add your college events to our calendar by clicking “add event”; we’re a website built by the Oneonta community!
Finally, OneontaOnTheMap.com’s “Coupons to your cell phone” business promotion is up and running. Tell your favorite local stores/merchants to add their specials or coupons to our website so we can blog & Tweet about them and you can save $. How great would it be to have all the Super Bowl Party Pack Specials listed on www.OneontaOnTheMap.com? Spread the word; let’s have fun with this!
Thanks for listening,
SUNY Oneonta ’06
Tags: B. Sharp Studio Gallery, February 2010 Oneonta events, fun, Hanford Mills Ice Harvest, Hartwick College, Neverdaunt N8 video game, Oneonta NY business, Ski Plattekill, students, SUNY College at Oneonta, SUNY Oneonta, things to do in Oneonta, What's Up Oneonta NY? Events, www.OneontaOnTheMap.com news